top of page

UK spouse visa accommodation requirements

Our environmental practitioners understand the complexities and challenges of meeting the accommodation requirements for a UK spouse visa. Individuals applying for a spouse visa to join their partner in the UK under the family migration route must prove and show evidence to the Home Office that they have “adequate accommodation”.  This essentially means the property being relied upon is safe, meets the required housing standards and will not be overcrowded under the Housing Act 1985. Failure to meet the UKVI adequate accommodation requirements can result in the visa being declined.

Evidencing that you have adequate accommodation is expected by the Home Office, please see Appendix FM-Family members. Section E-ECP 3.4 states :

"The applicant must provide evidence that there will be adequate accommodation, without recourse to public funds, for the family, including other family members who are not included in the application but who live in the same household, which the family own or occupy exclusively: accommodation will not be regarded as adequate if-

(a) it is, or will be, overcrowded; or

(b) it contravenes public health regulations."

Clearly, the Housing Report  is the only document that demonstrates to the Home Office that the accommodation is adequate. If the accommodation is being provided by family/friends you may also need a visa accommodation letter from them stating they give their explicit consent for you and the applicant to be able to reside there.

Visa Accommodation Letter

bottom of page